How can we improve Azure Cache?

It should be possible to scale up pricing plan for Redis Cahce

In the portal today I can't scale up a Redis cache instanse. I'm stuck in Standard 250 MB and I want 1 GB. Does not seem to be possible.

My workaround now is to create a new redis cache with 1GB.

237 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Niklas Nihlen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Graham Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this is complete at all I'm afraid. I can scale up and down within a pricing tier but not across tiers. Think like SQL Server where you can scale up down across tiers or like web apps where you can scale up the number of instances or change from 1 CPU to 4 etc.

To make best use of Azure pricing, start small in Basic, then scale up within Basic (much cheaper) until you need resilience of Standard (quite expensive). You can't swap over so you still need to redeploy and change all your keys, which isn't good.

• J Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    Yep, definitely a good thing to have.
    Is it not even possible to do this via Powershell?

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmmm, I can set every service I use to auto scale based on usage except for Redis Cache... This would be nice to have, rather than getting caught in a bind and waiting to migrate to a new instance.

• Graham Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add to this, very important. I am very surprised that MS went live without the ability to scale up and down (especially if using shared infrastructure plans - e.g. B0 --> S0)

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, just had the same experience. Once deployed to production and you find you need to upgrade the cache size that's an unnecessarily long-winded process - create new cache, change connection strings in the configuration and update deployment, delete old cache.

Feedback and Knowledge Base