Cache

Azure Cache is a family of cache offerings that support high throughput, low-latency data access, to enable building fast, scalable applications.
- Azure Redis Cache (Preview) is based on the popular open source Redis Cache engine. The service gives users access to a secure, dedicated Redis Cache, managed by Microsoft.
- Azure Managed Cache Service: Built on App Fabric Cache. This is a dedicated managed service.
- In-Role Cache: Built on App Fabric Cache. This is a self-hosted cache, available via the Azure SDK.

1. Add redis management features to the portal

Add basic management features to see the content of the Redis cache (e.g. key items, values for keys, flush db etc.)

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Azure Redis Cache  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Pranav.Rastogi responded

We have added Keys counter which allows you to see the total/ expired and evicted keys as well.

2. Add dump import to redis cache

I am already using Redis and don't have any option to import my existing dump to redis cache and start using the azure redis instantly.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Decrease Price of Caching

$45/mo for 128MB cache is cost prohibitive.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Take snapshots of the cache for download

Since commands such as 'SAVE' and 'BGSAVE' are disabled on the azure redis,I was hoping to find a equivalent of this operation(save,bgsave) to take a snapshot of my data on the cache and download it for local testing or upload it a new azure cache with better plan/config since I cannot upgrade my current plan.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Redis Cache  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow PHP Azure Web Sites to use Azure Cache

A lot of PHP websites use Memcache to improve the performances. Actually, according to the Azure Support, there is no possibility to connect a PHP website to Azure Cache using Memcache protocol. Even with a Shim Client.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Reboot all redis tiers on dedicated infrastructure

Why can we only reboot premium tier instances? I get that if we're on a multi-tenant setup we can't reboot - but once we get to STANDARD tier we should be able to reboot, not just premium.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow pay-as-you-use pricing for caching

Amazon has just released their ElastiCache service, which offers pay-as-you-use caching. Rather than charging a fixed fee each month, it would be great to use Azure caching on the same basis, paying for what we use each month

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow import of block blob data to redis , as of now my .rdb file should be multiple of 512 bytes for page blob

I am not able to upload my .rdb file as page blob to azure storage , as the file size is not in multiple of 512 bytes

The back up I took from other cloud provider

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Maintenance time of RedisCache server should be out of business hours in Japan

Maintenance time of RedisCache server should be out of business hours in Japan

The last maintenance started 0:00 UTC. That hit business start time in Japan (a.m. 09:00 JPT). The business impact was critical.
    Please plan the maintenance in Japan out of business hour in Japan considering local time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add new cache service to south central usa datacenter

when i sign up for the preview program for the new shared cache service - i found that the only usa datacenter it was NOT available in was the south central datacenter. unfortunately that is where our applications are deployed so it is not an option for us - please let it be added to south central usa region

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Decrease Price of AppFabric Caching

$45/month for 128mb of caching -- Microsoft is out of their mind. This service is free in an IIS webfarm.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. make cache service less expesive

The cache service is just too expensive to use for a significant amount of data. Especially since it first uses memory from instances we've already paid for!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add Redis Cache support to Azure Government

It would be really useful if Azure Government supported Azure Redis Cache.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow management of Azure Redis Cache through REST API

It would be good to be able to programmatically create and manage Azure Redis Caches. Example scenario: bringing up an automated test environment for a short time to test builds/applications before deployment to production space without interfering with production cache.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Azure Redis Cache  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add caching for Web Sites

Right now, the only reason I have to migrate to Cloud Services is the caching. But I love how simple Web Sites and would love to continue to using them. Right now, I am doing In-Proc caching, but any session state requires I have a external cache.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Saurabh Pant responded

Azure Managed Cache service and Azure Redis Cache Preview both support Azure Web Sites.

17. Be able to modify Redis hash-max-zipmap-entries and hash-max-zipmap-value for memory optimization

Per this article, http://redis.io/topics/memory-optimization , this would be a huge improvement on memory if you use hashes. Getting access to these properties would be really beneficial for everyone.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I would like to see more info on the redis cache instances

I would like to be able to see how full a Redis cache instance is. There is a memory graph but it does not seem to track with cache usage.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Keep the link to the old silverlight portal to be able to delete caching stuff, until everything is fully retired.

Lingering caches keep sucking money for nothing, if you forget you have one there. And the only indicator you have one is on the billing statement.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. More flexible billing for azure cache plus more options

I will describe the problem at hand and how the options/pricing of Azure Cache are a limitation and will propose solution.

We build a site for online drawing manipulation and we need to store the work context in-memory. So we need distributed cache :
    - with high availability - nobody wants to loose the state of 30 minutes work in case of cache eviction.
    - working in Azure Web Sites. We work with Azure Web Sites for our Web and make Workers, so In-Role Cache is not an option.
    - no more then 50 MB cache needed - Azure Cache…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Saurabh Pant responded

With Azure Redis cache we now offer an HA 250 MB Redis cache for ~$40 a month ($20 during preview).

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base