I suggest you ...

Allow easy donation of unused CPU cycles to cancer research, Folding@home, etc.

I would like to easily 'donate' my unused CPU cycles towards a good cause, such as cancer research within the Folding@home project.

Ideally this setting would be incorporated into the config of my worker roles, or within the Windows Azure portal.

108 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChrisLamontChrisLamont shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, please don't do that. This will slow everyone else down.

• Mike DurkeeMike Durkee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I DO NOT AGREE TO DONATION OF UNUSED CPU CYCLES.
        I CLICK TO CLOSE A BUBBLE WINDOWS THAT "ALWAYS" ASK
        IF I WANT TO DONATE TIME. IT POP UP AGAIN SAYING, "THANK-YOU FOR DONATING TIME. I'M UPSET. PLEASE ENSURE THAT MY COMPUTER IS NOT DONATING TIME TO ANYONE!
        I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY TO MY EMAIL.
        -MDURKEE

• crpietschmanncrpietschmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with Carl. While this idea sounds good on the surface, it would really end up increasing Microsoft costs of running the service resulting in higher prices. People are already complaining about Azure prices being too high. If you want to donate "unused CPU cycles", then install that stuff on your own computers and leave them running 24 hours a day.

• Carl HörbergCarl Hörberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's a bad idea, you loose all the benefits of VPS, less clients can share a computer, more heat will be generated, more electricity will be consumed etc. all ending up with higher prices.

• ChrisLamontChrisLamont commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the information Joannes! I didn't know that there were plans to create smaller VM's... which would actually pose a challenge to what I came up with.

Well I was pleasantly suprised to see that Microsoft and the NSF are offering US-based Scientists 3 years of free access to Windows Azure. This announcement carries the intent of what I was hoping for, but without the complication of distributed computing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/science/05cloud.html

Lets hope that this becomes a positive synergy, and carries onto year 4 and beyond.

• Joannes VermorelJoannes Vermorel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks kinda weird to me, because MS will be providing (at some point) scaled down hosting unit - smaller VMs or GAE like hosting. Cloud computing aims to really match the processing power with the allocated resources. The fact that a single worker can be vastly underused is just an artifact caused my the lack of small hosting unit.

Feedback and Knowledge Base