Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael HermanMichael Herman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Idle thought, I'd start east-coast in Nova Scotia rather than west coast, as then you sit on a bundle of Atlantic undersea cables. West coast the cables end in Seattle rather than in Canada

I recommend you do this sooner than later and frankly I can't believe it is not done yet. You are losing business and will lose more. You want to be the leader then be a leader.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@brandon, if you read below, this request should just ignore the 'Patriot Act' portion and just focus on providing a datacenter on Canadian soil. Many businesses want to keep their data on Canadian soil, whether by law or by a strong pressure from their customers. With the Ireland thing, you're referring to an extreme, single case which will not apply any normal businesses here.

It's too hard for most businesses here to explain to each and every customer why their data is not in Canada...so they simply don't use azure. The real problem is that they are forced to find and develop for other services here, and by the time azure decides to set up shop here, no business will re-write their software just to move to azure. Timing is everything as large datacenters are now moving in here.

• Brandon HBrandon H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure this would even get you around Patriot Act given the recent ruling about MS data in Ireland being forcefully turned over.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're considering Canadian locations, www.clouda.ca is hosting a survey for their next Canadian Cloud Datacenter, and British Columbia has strong demand and is the clear winner. Here's a quick screenshot: http://imgur.com/YRiFLOy (ps. Don't let others get a foothold while you ponder about a Canadian datacenter. You pondered and lost with mobile...DON'T do it with datacenters!)

AWS will take if from you, if you are not first..and they are expanding like fire in Vancouver already. First you move in the troops..then you build the camp, i.e. Datacenter.

Yes, please, Microsoft doesn't have to invest big in Canada. Just a small investment would do, because all you have to do is to start the developers "loving and building" with Azure. And when the market grows, guess what platform will all those developers want to adopt? AZURE ofcourse! If you you are not first in todays world..you are already last:( So please, do put a small investment in Canada with proper full Azure support...not the cheap/overpriced/feature lacking version of Azure on CloudOS. Thank you.

This title should just be changed to simply say "Provide a Datacenter on Canadian soil" (so don't get all hung up about the Patriot Act thing). It is a requirement (by law) for a lot of businesses here to house their data within Canada. We can't move our massive data and systems to Azure because we are required to stay within Canada. Our hands are tied by law, so even a single, 'smaller' Datacenter in Canada would be allow us to move to Azure.

I'm afraid Christoph Steinhauf is correct the US Patriot Act would stilly apply due to the fact that Microsoft is a US company.

• Jason MetzgerJason Metzger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unavoidable. It's even more so because as dancon pointed out, people just don't care anymore about this problem. It's sad really. Don't waste your votes on this because it really won't matter.

• dancondancon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I raised this issue at the partner conference in Washington and sort of got a collective shrug from both the Canadian and US folks.

• dancondancon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I raised this issue at the partner conference in Washington and sort of got a collective shrug from both the Canadian and US folks.

• Michael HermanMichael Herman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many Canadian small busineses that store personal information cannot use US based hosting services ...whether it's Azure or Office Online.

Feedback and Knowledge Base