Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael HermanMichael Herman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check THIS out!! http://reimagine.microsoft.ca/en-ca/ (re: Azure coming to Toronto)

"MICROSOFT CLOUD TO TOUCH DOWN IN CANADA
        Locally deployed Azure, Office 365 and Dynamics CRM Online will help power Canadian business

Toronto, June 2, 2015 – Microsoft today announced plans to deliver commercial cloud services from Canada. Azure, Office 365 and Dynamics CRM Online will be delivered from Toronto and Quebec City in 2016, further strengthening Microsoft’s footprint in Canada’s competitive cloud landscape."

...Timing is "early 2016"

• RagiRagi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Robin - we would be happy to help you as we are an Office365 reseller with Azure in our own data centre located in Canada. We pride ourselves in data sovereignty and have been providing Microsoft hosting solutions for 10 years. Feel free to email us at sales@cloud8.ca.

• Robin PersaudRobin Persaud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am testing Office 365 for a customer and am sad to see that there are no Canadian data centers.

This is a deal-breaker for the client, as accounting and legal policies affecting the client preclude storing company data outside Canada. As a result, my client has shot down Office 365.

You have, again, left money on the table.

• Alan MAlan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hosting is needed in Canada, regardless of the patriot act. Central, West, and East locations would be fantastic.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need Canadian hosting now already. I can't get the business on board as long as the Patriot act is an issue.

Provide hosting in Canada for Canadians to avoid the US Patriot Act, I could not have said it better than this.

• Ian JohnstonIan Johnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, Anonymous, when you say "chances are..." , I suspect you have not read the trans-border data flow restrictions placed on certain governing bodies put into Canadian law through the The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).

Where you ARE correct is that there's a lot of FUD about Patriot Act (which is why this request has to do with following Canadian Law and NOT not shouting that 'the sky is falling' due to the Patriot Act)

There's a tonne of FUD going around about data residency requirements in Canada... Chances are you don't actually need the days to physically reside in Canada.

There's even more FUD about the PATRIOT act: geographic location of data won't protect you from it. Also, the number of Canadian organisations that were subject to PATRIOT requests since the act came into being has been... Zero?

• Lyle ViereckLyle Viereck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're not deeply concerned about the Partiot Act, we're just trying to work within Canadian Laws that state that the database must reside on Canadian soil. Simple as that. A datacenter here would open up a lot of options for us.

• Michael HermanMichael Herman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I (the original person who posted this request) have since heard that even if your organization's data is physically in Canada, it is likely still subject to requests from the US government. That is, physically having your data in Canada may not alleviate your concerns with respect to the Patriot Act. I'm not an expert - so seek proper legal advice if you have a deep concern.

• Paroon ChadhaParoon Chadha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its already too late but we need to get some guidance from Microsoft on when Azure or if Azure will be available in Canada. As a provider of a solution built on Azure, this is a serious hurdle and making doing business in Canada increasingly difficult. Does anyone have a date when MS may get to this?

Obviously we need data centers in Canada (moot point).

The primary issue is that Azure does not guarantee that your data will reside in Canada, even if they have data centers in Canada.

Many clients, financial, government and others not only require the data reside in Canada (data storage, database, etc..) but that the data cannot be transmitted outside of the Country, "knowingly".

By "knowingly", they mean that we can't have web services, web applications, or services running off of non-Canadian located servers. The data content cannot be transported across borders.

They can't control IP traffic going across borders, but all of our applications, database and file storage servers, blob storage, etc... must all reside in Canada.

Until this is addressed Azure is not a viable option for Canadian financial, corporate and government organizations.

• Jackie FordeJackie Forde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With MS not having a presence for Azure in Canada it greatly inhibits our ability to provide our services to our Canadian government clients as Canada's data privacy standards are much higher than in the US, and they will not do business with anyone putting their data in the US. how soon is this a reality?

• My MailsMy Mails commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Definitely West Coast is better than East Coast even though East Coast has more business/clients. However, its not the distance but US Patriot Act that is the hurdle.
        When will Microsoft even consider this?

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!! An Azure Datacenter in Canada!! It's a great forward looking investment for Microsoft.

1. Canada is a first world country
        2. Tremendous IT growth and Companies looking to migrate to the Cloud
        3. Great climate help to help keep operating costs down
        4. We really need a first, either a local Azure or AWS here to get things really booming

Thank you!!

• Ben AdamsBen Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Idle thought, I'd start east-coast in Nova Scotia rather than west coast, as then you sit on a bundle of Atlantic undersea cables. West coast the cables end in Seattle rather than in Canada

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base