I suggest you ...

Open Source Azure & create a marketplace of providers with no loss of strategic control or tax.

A marketplace of providers will require multiple providers, access to code / data and semantic interoperability. This means a common reference model. If Azure is open sourced then it can act as the common model without the providers suffering a loss of strategic control or tax. Given that cloud is about provision of commodity services (i.e. activities which are ubiquitous and well defined and hence suitable to support the volume operations needed), the value is in the service not the bits and hence creating a free market (as opposed to a controlled market) would benefit consumers.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon WardleySimon Wardley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • crpietschmanncrpietschmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah sure, Microsoft will surely open source Azure the same way it has already open sourced Windows. Right. No seriously, if the "cloud is about provision of commodity services" then what does open sourcing Azure have to do with that. The commodity service is the hosting, not the platform. I understand wanting to have an open environment, but you could always build your own open source platform instead of being critical about Microsoft not open sourcing theirs.

• ReillyusaReillyusa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a meeting I had with Winston Bumpus at a vmware EBC a couple of weeks ago, my statement was "for all of this cloud adoption to become mainstream, the basic layers have to become as standardized and widely adopted as USB". Open sourcing Azure would help that goal. There has been a massive business built on selling products that use the USB standard as the basic tenent - this is where the cloud service market could learn from.

• Andrew KozakAndrew Kozak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft were to combine the leverage of its resources as a for-profit corporation with the power of the open-source community, Azure would dominate the nascent cloud-platform space.

Feedback and Knowledge Base