How can we improve HDInsight?

Start/Stop cluster HDInsight

The possibility to start and stop a cluster. Now is only available delete the cluster and I do not want any charge unnecessarily if I don't use the cluster for several days.

68 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Yolanda Yolanda shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  matt winklerAdminmatt winkler (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback here. When we designed the system, we considered delete == stop as the state is externalized. We’ve heard this feedback a few times and are considering making this clearer.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Corey LaneCorey Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to see this feature implemented. It's a major pain to have to delete my cluster and create a new one every time I want to run a Hadoop job. If I could just suspend the instance so that I wouldn't be charged for unused time and boot it back up with the same name, password, etc. it would be much more useful. We recently moved away from HDInsight because of this.

• Jamie ThomsonJamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. Similarly I'd like to be able to scale my cluster up or down (i.e. add or remove data nodes).

Feedback and Knowledge Base