How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Allow data compression (to improve size/performance)

Allowing data compression would make it easier to fit within a 1GB/10GB limit and help improve I/O performance on large datasets, not to mention it helps with T-SQL/SQL Server compatibility.

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. We now have the next generation of Azure SQL DB in public preview in the US and GA in Europe. Specifically we now support page and row level compression.

Details here http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/12/11/preview-available-for-next-generation-of-azure-sql-database/We understand the issue of database size and SQL Database.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan LamanskyRyan Lamansky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the older storage-centric pricing model, I can see why this would be blocked (to conserve CPU time), but with new model which limits our CPU usage, reckless use of DATA_COMPRESSION (and other features) isn't going to hurt other users. Savvy developers have who have a low CPU % database can save a lot of space and potentially reduce I/O load.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in addition this will help schema migration: no need to use a tool or syntax to strip ou tthe syntax related to compression

Feedback and Knowledge Base