How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Cross database reference

The ability to query (read-only) data from a difference database or linked server. This will allow to reference (join) some tables from the source database and build views that uses two or more SQL Azure databases.

1,319 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EllisEllis shared a merged idea: allow interdatabase joins.  ·   · 
    TriciaTricia shared a merged idea: Add ability to reference data in a sql azure database from a stored procedure in another SQL database. Cross Query Azure databases.  ·   · 
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Linked Server  ·   · 
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Allow 3-part synonyms (database.schema.object) to use other databases in the server.  ·   · 

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VinceVince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you. Seriously. Thank you. I would buy beers and send if I could.

• David MulhollandDavid Mulholland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were seriously looking at migrating to Azure Db but not being able to query cross database is the sole reason we cannot. We are an enterprise organisation with data split across dozens of database and frequently query cross database e.g. we have a customer database and a sales database and we want to look at sales by customer. It is not feasible to consolidate as there are far too many different concerns to include in a single database (medical records, warehousing, finance, CRM, diary, contact centre functions, helpdesk, time keeping & payroll, HR etc. etc.) and even if we did the amount of data involved would exceed the maximum allowed for a single Db anyway. We need some function to allow data to be queried via joining to tables in separate databases in order for it to be feasible to move.

• Rafi AsrafRafi Asraf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our product is a retail POS data warehouse solution, with integrated data from different chains and stores, made for consumer goods vendors.
        Each vendor is having a separate database, with only their data on it. We also maintain master data, and general public data, that is integrated and used in reports.

We would like to upload these databases to the cloud, using SQL Azure Databases. Having the ability to perform a cross database reference would allow us to store the common and public data once, in a global database, and use it many times. For this we need to create a view in database A that is performing a select * from t1 from database b.

Also, exposing repots to the end user, with only their DW logs, which are stored in a central database, will be easier with a view filtering only the relevant customers logs.

The alternative is to replicate the same data multiple time, with the risk of it being not in sync, and the overhead of storage and syncing the same data 100s of time.
        A second alternative is to run it as a VM, but then we do not really get the advantages of using a cloud database, as we will need to administrate the server, and allocate resources, and disk space, and memory etc.

• AlexanderAlexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of real world (Microsoft-) SQL(-Server) solutions depend on cross- database queries. This is the #1 showstopper for moving our application/website to Azure.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a common task for database developers and a MAJOR obstacle to using SQL Azure. Very simple requirement:

SELECT * INTO [db2].dbo.[some table] FROM [db1].dbo.[some table]

or

INSERT INTO [db2].dbo.[some table]
        SELECT * FROM [db1].dbo.[some table]

These and similar tasks are so common that I really will not be able to use SQL Azure without the ability to copy data between databases.

• XxBladesxXXxBladesxX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want:
        SELECT *
        INTO [TargetDB].[dbo].[TargetTable]
        FROM [SourceDB].[dbo].[SourceTable]

• Adam CallenAdam Callen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just stupid. "We are looking to better understand what customers are trying to do here." Are you serious? I'm guessing that it's just technically difficult and you guys are playing dumb as opposed to figuring it out.

• Charles WysongCharles Wysong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally, cross database query support would exist. I'd be happy with a good way to do remote procedure calls via some analog to Linked Servers.

Any movement on this?
        This is proving a blocker for us migrating to PaaS offering in Azure, instead facing the choice of IaaS VM's or going down the AWS route...

We've got an eshop that has it's own database, but takes most of the data about the goods from a replica of the main IS of the company and accesses that data using views referencing the other DB on the same MSSQL server. If we were to move to Azure DB, we'd have to replicate the data into the same database as the eShop and to keep things separate we'd have to change the "schema" and all references all around the system.
        I think for more purposes it would not matter whether the crosreferenced databases are really a different databases as long as it looks like two databases to the SQL queries.

• Roger MillerRoger Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to connect to a large database provided by a third party supplier and cross join with our own DB's The third party database changes on a regular basis and it's not feasible to import this into another DB. Please address this requirement

• benjbenj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another who'd like to see this. Doesn't have to be anything fancy- just let me join to a table in another db on the same instance. Sure I could put it all in one db but like others here I'm trying to keep everything clean and separate. I'd've thought MS would be happy we're paying for extra databases when we could potentially be putting everything in one db- this kind of thing will (at best) drive developers to use as few databases as possible and at worst send them elsewhere.

• AnsonAnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cross database reference wasn't a new feature / technology of SQL Server in previous versions and editions, I'm surprised that Microsoft used 4 years to "Review" this request ....I guess it will remains "Review" in 2015.

• Richard BorrieRichard Borrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others here we use multiple databases on the same server, and we can't move to Azure SQL database until we have the ability to "look across" from one DB to the other. We just want to be able to do a "select xyz from otherdb.dbo.othertable", or we want to be able to create a view in the current DB which reads data from the other DB.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently load data into a staging database from offline data sources for validation, before it is then loaded via overnight batch into the main database as part of a transaction.
        I have come from an self-hosted environment where this is possible to Azure where it is not.

The only viable solution given my current deadline is to merge the databases, which is less than ideal.

Please can this feature be added.

• RickRick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazon's MSSQL offering does not have this limitation. I am currently using that with much success, maybe you need to look there.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base