How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Cross database reference

The ability to query (read-only) data from a difference database or linked server. This will allow to reference (join) some tables from the source database and build views that uses two or more SQL Azure databases.

958 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Linked Server  ·   · 
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Allow 3-part synonyms (database.schema.object) to use other databases in the server.  ·   · 

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a large R/O database I want to cros query with our R/W database. It does not make sense to combine into one db.

• Andy DillbeckAndy Dillbeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to use Azure as a back end for a load balancing server, which will sync to our server based sql server database. The local sql server has two databases, one to hold user data, and one to hold the main data. I set up two sync groups because when I tried to sync both databases to a single Azure database it gave me all kinds of errors. I'd really love to have the ability to look up data in one database from another.

• LukeLuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company would also want to join to a table in a different database. The same case as the comment below, we have multiple client DBs and then 1 or 2 common DBs.
        I also think not having support for this would prevent us from using Azure.

• Steve HipwellSteve Hipwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We wish to be able to join to a table in another database. Basically in our system each customer has their own database and then there are a couple of common databases. We want to use Azure but we don't feel that we can until there is the support for this.

• TemTem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although is not a regular use, but maintenance services for example.
        It is very useful for migration services, extra safety backup or non-timely data sync.
        These are simple tasks in regular MS-SQL, but without this feature we have to use any other external tool making this task very unpractical.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Guy for getting back to us on this request.

We're specifically interested cross DB queries in order to prevent needing to replicate "common" data across multiple clusters/shards of our DBs. Due to performance, scalability, and security limitations within Azure we sometimes shard-out data for specific systems or entire customers to separate databases. This obviously complicates queries that need to "JOIN" data from a central "Core" DB with data in a different DB cluster or shard.

Here's a simple example. Let's say you have a "Core" DB which contains Customers and SalesReps and a "Customer5" DB which contains actual SalesData identified by a SalesRepID. Some systems and queries need the Customers and Reps to be stored in a central place. The SalesRep table may contain location and name information. Other requirements need the SalesData itself to be in a different DB. Currently it is not possible to run a query and "JOIN" the SalesRep information along with the SalesData across the 2 separate DBs.

In order to accomplish this you would have to replicate the SalesRep data into the other DBs. This is difficult to maintain when SalesRep data is constantly growing, updating, or restructuring. I'd love to know if if there are more elegant solutions to this scenario.

We investigated using Federations but there are too many limitations with how you can query the data which prevent us from using it. We were invited to Redmond a few years ago to speak to various Azure Dev teams and were originally excited to learn about the progress being made on Federations before it was even announced. Unfortunately it's not as flexible as we had hoped it would be.

• ThibautThibaut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Is there any timeline to have this feature available?

• James D. SchwarzmeierJames D. Schwarzmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must-have. It would also seem to me that supporting this would also make it possible to run queries between the root and shards, or across shards in federated scenarios. Given the "scale-out" architecture that is encouraged with cloud apps, this ability seems very foundational in nature.

• Jim PelletierJim Pelletier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having to consolidate and join data from the different databases in memory on the client is a performance killer and also causes us a lot of extra and unnecessary work. Outside of Azure, it's an easy and fast job. Please add this feature.

• KarenKaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is necessary to have cross database calls ability, to have errors logging from database procedures, if your logs repository designed as separate database.

• Mike LordMike Lord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Azure is not ready for Prime Time for Enterprise developers without Cross-database Join capabilities!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base