Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Howard HoffmanHoward Hoffman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

see http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2570 and , we have Always Encrypted solutions. "Always Encrypted

Always Encrypted, based on technology from Microsoft Research, protects data at rest and in motion. With Always Encrypted, SQL Server can perform operations on encrypted data and best of all, the encryption key resides with the application in the customers trusted environment. Encryption and decryption of data happens transparently inside the application which minimizes the changes that have to be made to existing applications."

• Kevin ChristensenKevin Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My application also extensively uses Sql Server's built-in encryption functions (symmetric keys, asymmetric keys, hash_bytes(), etc.). Support for those is a must have before moving to Sql Azure.

• Florin NeamtuFlorin Neamtu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I commented already in the "Enable Transparent Data Encryption" feature too, any decision at this point is way better than no decision.

• Howard HoffmanHoward Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The built-in T-SQL encryptbykey() and decryptbtkeyautocert() functions (including also decryptByKeyAutocert/DecryptdByKeyAutoAsymKey/DecryptByPassPhrase) are used by applications that need to store highly sensitive information.

We have an application that indeed uses these mechanisms to store highly sensitive information; we have some small customers that would benefit from cloud-based deployments. We cannot deploy all our features to SQL Azure without this functionality.

Feedback and Knowledge Base