How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Add support for "SELECT INTO" for #temp tables in SQL Azure

I understand that SELET INTO is not supported in SQL Azure standard tables because that will create a new table that doesnt have the clustered index needed to replicate the data correctly.
However, when creating tables in the tempdb you can create tables without a clustered index - and so the SELECT INTO command should be able to be used when the output table is stored in the TempDB.

99% of all my SELECT INTO are used for temporary tables (to increase speed in reporting and data processing)

151 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ronny HansenRonny Hansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jonathan WinataJonathan Winata commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature is a major inconvenience for us since we are using the temp table for data validation during bulk imports.

• Jordan B.Jordan B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get why this is the case with Azure tables requiring clustered indexes for replication and whatnot, but why on earth enforce this restriction for temp tables? Select Into statements are widely used in my organization for generic dynamic triggers. Knowing the exact column definition is one thing, but this restriction creates a significant maintenance liability.

• Jim PelletierJim Pelletier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature gap has been a major inconvenience for our company as well. If I could give it more votes, I would.

• Kevin ChamberlainKevin Chamberlain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally it would be really nice to allow a select into where no data is being inserted into the table. This is often used to establish a table (or # table) structure that is dynamically generated first, then populated so system objects aren't being locked while the data from the select is being gathered to put into the table. This would then allow us to 1. Create a table dynamically, 2. Create the clustered key, 3. Populate the table from the query.

Feedback and Knowledge Base