How can we improve Azure Storage?

Add TableStorage LINQ query support for Select, Count and Contains

Critical functions such as Select, Count and Contains are not currently available when querying TableStorage data.

If I only want a total number of rows that match a certain criteria I have no choice but to retrieve the data, count it and throw it away.

Adding support for Select would also help with heavy queries by only returning the data selected from a query.

Contains would be useful for searching. Using the Compare function is annoying.

1,148 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JasonJason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Brian VanBrian Van shared a merged idea: Table Storage: Regex $filter  ·   · 
    DennisDennis shared a merged idea: Make LINQ-to-TableStorage  ·   · 

Thanks for the request! We have delivered support for projection (select), which you can read about at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2011/09/15/windows-azure-tables-introducing-upsert-and-query-projection.aspx (along with two extra Update options), allowing you to specify which properties you want included when querying tables. The other features requests are under review.

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no skip, no count = no paging,
        no paging = no good choice, no good datastorage

geronimo was here.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So... 4 years later. Where are we with Count, Distinct, Contains? Has there been any news at all about Table Storage lately?

• mikestumikestu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somehow I ended up back here while searching for using count with linq, and forgot that it wasn't supported. I also see nobody from Microsoft has replied since my last comment in August...great.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add sorting/orderby to this list as well. I didn't know table storage was so limited until I started trying to do something with it. :(

• James ReateguiJames Reategui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would either discontinue the Table Storage because it gives the overall product a bad rep, OR make the improvements.
        I know it would cannibalize some of the more expensive SQL Azure sales, if they added too many more LINQ features.

• Jamison MorrowJamison Morrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks to basic limitations like these, I'm having the worst time finding a use case for Azure tables that doesn't multiply my dev time, performance, and total lines of code by a factor of 5. I've given them a chance more than once. I've discovered I like the "idea" of Azure tables far more than the actual implementation. I've been forced to revert to SQL Azure each time out of necessity.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting for this feature guys! It's been over 2 years now. :) I'm specifically waiting for the ability to perform Counts.

• AzureAzure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Select was provided back in Sept 2011, so there has been some progress

• ZodZod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this ever going to be implemented. It seems like the table storage development has stopped on Azure. It has been 2 years since this was suggested. Also same for Text search on table storage. Can we at least get a "NEVER GONNA HAPPEN" so we can quit holding out hope?

• EdwinEdwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All,

Need atleast orderby based on column for top operator. The current set are like iron age API's. Please understand the developor challenges.

--Edwin.

• Piotr JustynaPiotr Justyna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add "Contains" functionality to the Table Storage as this is critical for filtering data (and this is apparently the purpose of the Table Storage). I'm currently using Azure toolkit for iOS so I was kind of prepared that it will not be implemented out of the box as this is quite new product, but I was very surprised when I discovered that String.Contains() is not supported within my Worker Role project. Are you seriously not planning to implement it yet? It has been requested a year ago. I had (and still have) high hopes for Windows Azure, but you have to try harder to attract new developers to this interesting platform.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base