How can we improve the Windows Azure Service Bus?

MSMQ Azure

Azure Queues are nice, but having a transactional and durable queues with guaranteed only-once delivery would be a big helper. Loosing inherent scalability is OK (just like it works out with the SQL Azure).

Suggestion in detail is here: http://abdullin.com/journal/2010/5/21/windows-azure-most-wanted-msmq-azure.html

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rinat AbdullinRinat Abdullin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Abhishek LalAbhishek Lal responded  · 

Thanks for this suggestion, With Azure Service Bus queues you have transaction and several of the other features mentioned. Hope this meets your requirements.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ruppert KochRuppert Koch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The September '11 release of Azure AppFabric Service Bus provides exactly what you are looking for: Transactional queues and topics/subscriptions with exactly-once delivery guarantees, deadlettering, scheduled messages, etc.

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A reliable, reasonably-scaled de-duplicating queue is a requirement for our application.

A reliable, reasonably-scaled de-duplicating queue is a requirement for our application.

• Yoel ArnonYoel Arnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would require MS to change of the MSMQ storage model - which is based on local memory-mapped files - but I agree it worth the effort. It would allow many existing MSMQ based LOB applications to have a smooth transition to Azure, and a better communication model between on premise and Azure apps.
        Good to know MSMQ is still so relevant, almost 16 years since I started working on it in the Microsoft "Falcon" (MSMQ) development team.
        Yoel - www.msmq.biz

Feedback and Knowledge Base