How can we improve the Windows Azure Service Bus?

Increase the 256K Maximum Message size limit of brokered messages

256K Maximum message size limit of Brokered Messages on the Service Bus Queue is really nothing, this means when I want to send a picture over a Queue (to do decoupling between a mobile App and the backoffice), I have to split the message everytime. This is awful..

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    WoutercxWoutercx shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Abhishek LalAbhishek Lal responded  · 

Thanks for the valuable suggestion. We do have an on-premise offering with the message limit of 50Mb but for the cloud service the current limit remains 256K as that meets most scenario needs. However we do continue to work on features to eventually increase this limit but that will likely be in a dedicated/reserved resource model.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vyrotek is correct. The idea of message queuing technologies has always been comprised of the concept of short, small messages. It sounds to me there are better approaches that are designed to handle large payloads, such as Blob storage. If you are passing around an image, your approach would cause you a LOT of latency by the shear number of endpoints that would have to receive the 50mb+ message stream before passing it on to the final destination.

• VyrotekVyrotek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the recommended approach for this exact scenario is to upload the photo to Blob Storage and put the ID of the Blob into the Queue instead.

Feedback and Knowledge Base