How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Merge office365 and live accounts that use the same email address

I use both Azure/msdn and office 365
I already had an msdn account mvdl@our-company.com ( Windows Live account) and our company recently migrated to Office 365 which resulted in a mvdl@our-company.com Office365 account.

Wich is causing a lot of grieve when switching between asure web portal / msdn web portal / office 365 web portal

Even when I have no portals open, I cant switch accounts. I need to explicity open the portal that I last logged in to. Log out, and then I can switch accounts.

And having both office 365 portal and Azure portal open at the same time is impossible.

906 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarcoMarco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Josh RiversJosh Rivers shared a merged idea: Microsoft Account Overload  ·   · 

Our team owns the Microsoft account and Azure AD sign-in/sign-up experiences. We know that some experiences are confusing for some of you and we’re working hard to simplify them.

More specifically:

1) We know a number of users have multiple accounts with Microsoft, some they created themselves and others they got from their work or school. Today, using multiple accounts in Office 365, Azure.com or VisualStudio.com requires you sign out of one account and sign in to another. To address this we’re building the ability to be signed in with more than one account at the same time, in the same browser. This should start showing up on Microsoft web properties later this year.

2) There’s a small number of Microsoft business services that only support “Live ID” accounts, and not organizational accounts that are used for other business services like Office 365. Examples include MSDN and Volume Licensing. We’re working with these teams to add support for organizational accounts. This will allow everyone who already has an account they use with Office 365 to use the same account to sign in to these services.

3) Some users have two Microsoft-powered accounts with the same sign in string: one they got from their organization (when the organization uses Azure AD account) and one they created themselves (for example to access MSDN or VL). For these users, the sign-in experience to Office and Azure can be confusing. If you’re in this situation, the simplest solution is to rename the account you created yourself. You can use another consumer email address or get a new @outlook.com address. And later his year, you’ll also be able to use your phone number as a sign in string. Longer term, we’re considering different options to remove this overlap.

Keep the great feedback coming and please let us know if you finds other sources of account confusion. We’ll continue to monitor this thread as we refine our plans.

Ariel

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dion OlsthoornDion Olsthoorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having exactly the same problem. As a workaround, I use different browsers for my Windows Live and Office365 accounts.

• UrsUrs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

obviously MS is using different databases to authenticate different services: "MS account" vs "Office 365" account. Would this not get solved if every user has both an MS account and an Office 365 account with exactly the same mail address and Password?

• Jorge PeraltaJorge Peralta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is year 2015, I can't believe Microsoft is still dealing with this issues. It's a mess for me having to authenticate all the time with OA and MA with different passwords.

• RussRuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there a feed or proposed timeline? one placed I worked we basically crippled MSDN access for a period of time once we turned on ADFS for 365...

• YeoYeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed....I am so sad that my azure account "hijacked" by Microsoft accout which has the same email address as company account ...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a horrible experience. Truly and outrageously bad. Why oh why did you not design a federated login solution or even offer users the ability to duplicate / synchronise account details. All I wanted to do was buy Office 365 for Mac and it's virtually impossible...And advising people to close browser windows - Is it 1998 again ?

• AllanAllan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And how about, in Azure AD, getting a report of how many (and which) users have a Microsoft Account that is using the same alias as their Organizational Account?

OK, I'm done for now, thank you (and sorry for ranting!)

Okay, so I just went to "rename" my account... and what it wants me to do is to input an actual mail address as an alias. This means that I have to have a working mail-address that I can use - you know, one that I would associate with work... but it cannot be my work-address :o

This is where I should be able to pair it with my organizational account - and Microsoft should just take care of it behind the scenes. I mean there must be some way that you could, let's call it "federate", identities between two different login-providers?

The other option is to create a new @outlook.com alias, which makes no sense in this context.

As I am a sysadmin, I can just go and add an extra mail-alias to my Exchange account and move on, but not everyone is in that position. MS is even saying that Azure AD can "integrate" with Microsoft Accounts, but this is the simplest possible form, where you have to enter the access code of the Microsoft account into Azure AD and then it tries to authenticate you with that up against your MA-based services, but only if you were coming from the Apps-list in Office 365...

It is called SINGLE sign on :) - not single-username-but-multiple-accounts-and-multiple-redirects-and-decisions-regarding-which-account-to-log-on-with...

What is called "Organizational Accounts" today, should replace "Microsoft Accounts" completely (and take its name instead). This could be the how it is implemented:

1. Anyone with a Microsoft Account (MA) should be given the opportunity to upgrade it to a Microsoft Account 2.0 (ie. Organizational Account).

2. If you have an existing Organizational Account (OA) you should be given he option of merging them. If the OA had the same name, there would be no other way. If not, you would have to enter in the login details of the OA.

3. Now you can log in to all pre-existing and future services with Microsoft Account 2.0. For instance, if you had an Office 365 Personal subscription and were logging on with a MA, now you will be logging on with an OA - and you shouldn't really have to feel the difference...

4. Support for Microsoft Account 1.0 is phased out of all clients again... No longer will we have to decide what type of account we're trying to log on with.

This, of course, requires that all services that hitherto have supported only MA are transited over so that they will support OA - which is why the actual merge of the two types of accounts can only happen after such a transitioni.

Until that happens, I will go and rename my Microsoft Account at work, so that it no longer bothers me (as much).

By the way, real life story: we have users that have access to Office 365 as students and they try to use OneNote/OneDrive/etc. for Business. Unfortunately something happens and then they end up creating new Microsoft Accounts, using the same login-name as we're providing them with. Now they get it working, thinking that they are using the service that we provide them with, when in fact, they've just circumvented the whole offering and simultaneously set themselvs up for problems when they try to log in to Microsoft's services... Very counterproductive.

• JorgeJorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sing in windows 10 with an office 365 account has been a PAIN for us. Little concrete information and a lot of confusion!!!

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any sign of this being fixed? We just launched Office 365, linked to our domain with DirSync, and are now discovering that somethings (like dictionary app in Word) is controller by Microsoft Account, but Word is controlled by O365 account and the 2 don't like each other. So we log into Word with O365 account which is tied to our domain, but then can't use apps like Dictionary because it says we need to log in, and then rejects our passwords (even though it's all the same for both Windows / Office)!!! Fix this!!!

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too - this is seriously doing my head in. I have azure credits against my personal account that is *identical* to my work account but not associated with my directory. Aargh doesn't begin to describe it. The amount of wheel spinning is just ridiculous.

• WardWard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ariel,
        As as workaround, where can we find a table like

Service X use Account A
        Service Y use Account A
        Service Z use Account B
        (exhausted)

I mean our users have to memorize owa url's, citrix url's, vpn url's, office365 url's, azure url's etc
        One password(policy) to rule them all would make things a lot easier on them and on support.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE FIX THIS. At the very least merge VLSC into 365 so that I don't have to keep two separate passwords for the same ID. It is very frustrating to have to go through your deeply stupid and confusing password reset process every time I turn around.

• souviksouvik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please help me out.i bought a lumia 640mobile phone,not xl version,with which I received an office365 personal subscription for 1 year through a serial key but after I upgraded my lumia to windows 10 insider preview slow version there were no office.when I tried to install word ,ppt and xl separately from windows store i get a preview version of all.now the main query is to know that whether i cn use my office 365 subscription in the preview version of word,xl,ppt on phone on a windows 10 platform in lumia 640.pls help.

• Brian AdkinsBrian Adkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google solved this a few years ago when they consolidated "Google" accounts and "Google Apps" accounts.... the process was pretty straightforward and really cleaned things up on the IT administration side.

.... still waiting form MS to evolve to that same point

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base