How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Merge office365 and live accounts that use the same email address

I use both Azure/msdn and office 365
I already had an msdn account ( Windows Live account) and our company recently migrated to Office 365 which resulted in a Office365 account.

Wich is causing a lot of grieve when switching between asure web portal / msdn web portal / office 365 web portal

Even when I have no portals open, I cant switch accounts. I need to explicity open the portal that I last logged in to. Log out, and then I can switch accounts.

And having both office 365 portal and Azure portal open at the same time is impossible.

1,016 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarcoMarco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Josh RiversJosh Rivers shared a merged idea: Microsoft Account Overload  ·   · 

Our team owns the Microsoft account and Azure AD sign-in/sign-up experiences. We know that some experiences are confusing for some of you and we’re working hard to simplify them.

More specifically:

1) We know a number of users have multiple accounts with Microsoft, some they created themselves and others they got from their work or school. Today, using multiple accounts in Office 365, or requires you sign out of one account and sign in to another. To address this we’re building the ability to be signed in with more than one account at the same time, in the same browser. This should start showing up on Microsoft web properties later this year.

2) There’s a small number of Microsoft business services that only support “Live ID” accounts, and not organizational accounts that are used for other business services like Office 365. Examples include MSDN and Volume Licensing. We’re working with these teams to add support for organizational accounts. This will allow everyone who already has an account they use with Office 365 to use the same account to sign in to these services.

3) Some users have two Microsoft-powered accounts with the same sign in string: one they got from their organization (when the organization uses Azure AD account) and one they created themselves (for example to access MSDN or VL). For these users, the sign-in experience to Office and Azure can be confusing. If you’re in this situation, the simplest solution is to rename the account you created yourself. You can use another consumer email address or get a new address. And later his year, you’ll also be able to use your phone number as a sign in string. Longer term, we’re considering different options to remove this overlap.

Keep the great feedback coming and please let us know if you finds other sources of account confusion. We’ll continue to monitor this thread as we refine our plans.

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • PesosPesos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pathetic. Forcing us to change our email address is asinine. Get your **** together.

• Randy BobackRandy Boback commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As to point 1. The nightmare of multiple accounts can spread. When the Win 10 upgrade to my laptop failed and basically ate my boot rec, I had to reinstall Win 8 from recovery and go through the process. All my data was safe however because I ALWAYS separate Church and State as well as OS/Apps and Data (including install routines and packages for the apps in question.

When I signed on to the laptop however it seems that I previously had a local account by the same name, and so I now have three accounts:
        1.) Original local account
        2.) Account with personal email address used as Microsoft Account,
        3.) Because it was so good at explaining the requirements, an account for Office 365 subscription that is not used to log in anywhere.

I am thinking I need to delete the account, which will cause OFFICE to go to demo mode, and then reset the debit card under my full general windows account, and lastly as admin, take ownership of all my previous files that are now on the laptop and locked up under the local account. EMail is not an issue as I have an SMTP/POP3 account outside of this that I deal with.

Logically, there should be a way to transfer things like the Office subscription to the other account. (from to without having to kill and start from scratch.) From a UI usability point of view, there should be a more understandable process than the current mess that causes so many to do what I too have done. The office website as well as many others at MSFT are these never ending loops like the stairs in the bizarre hall in Harry Potter. You can't get there form here, but if you go through link A you come out on page 72 with link IV on that page sending you to sub page 404. If you are already signed in when you go to purchase something WHY ASK YOU FOR ANOTHER ACCOUNT TO BE OPEN...

• Mark BurlandMark Burland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You would think that a **** up of this level of magnitude would get more attention. I mean, heads should roll for allowing this mess to continue.

Imagine if I had a company car. And when the car was delivered it came with two keys. The keys are identical, they look exactly the same. However, what nobody told me is that I have to use one key to drive to work, and the other key for other driving. Unfortunately, a built in system would also stop the car from working if both keys were detected in the car at the same time. Even as I type this, I realise it would still make more sense than what we currently have from Microsoft...

• M!cro$oftM!cro$oft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have same email address for personal and organizational. Now in Visual Studio I can't work with Azure because it won't load my personal settings. I am completely stuck.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is another example of outright negligence in software development practice from microsoft, which amazingly they routinely get away with. We really need to get away from using the rubbish technology produced by this company - sys admins and programmers - push back against the madness. Tell your bosses you can't program against/use/rollout this excuse for an identity system. Why? It's clearly not production ready, designed to confuse, and wastes time and money, and worst of all, instead of actually fixing anything, microsoft invents some new garbage that is a) not backwards compatible b) not finished and c) doesn't solve the original problem in the first place. People should not have to choose Work/Personal/School or any other account type! Web pages should not REDIRECT to a new page when you CLICK in the password field! I don't know if criteria for releasing software could get any lower than this appalling example, Microsoft fix this mess or get out of the software game and stop wasting our time.

• PatrickPatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a horrendous design.
        Two accounts with the same email? And NO notice that they are different. Wasted two days of my time. Microsoft again trips over its own feet in what should have been a simple seamless rollout. Thoroughly annoyed.

• Bob MarshallBob Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the set up process kind of forced me to sign in to it with my Microsoft account which I did. Unfortunately I did not realise that a Microsoft personal account and my Office 365 account were two entirely different services. I've wasted a whole morning trying to login to the Office 365 and kept going around in circles. Hope Microsoft get this sorted out as it's incredibly frustrating.

• Dion OlsthoornDion Olsthoorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having exactly the same problem. As a workaround, I use different browsers for my Windows Live and Office365 accounts.

• UrsUrs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

obviously MS is using different databases to authenticate different services: "MS account" vs "Office 365" account. Would this not get solved if every user has both an MS account and an Office 365 account with exactly the same mail address and Password?

• Jorge PeraltaJorge Peralta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is year 2015, I can't believe Microsoft is still dealing with this issues. It's a mess for me having to authenticate all the time with OA and MA with different passwords.

• RussRuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there a feed or proposed timeline? one placed I worked we basically crippled MSDN access for a period of time once we turned on ADFS for 365...

• YeoYeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed....I am so sad that my azure account "hijacked" by Microsoft accout which has the same email address as company account ...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a horrible experience. Truly and outrageously bad. Why oh why did you not design a federated login solution or even offer users the ability to duplicate / synchronise account details. All I wanted to do was buy Office 365 for Mac and it's virtually impossible...And advising people to close browser windows - Is it 1998 again ?

• AllanAllan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And how about, in Azure AD, getting a report of how many (and which) users have a Microsoft Account that is using the same alias as their Organizational Account?

OK, I'm done for now, thank you (and sorry for ranting!)

• AllanAllan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, so I just went to "rename" my account... and what it wants me to do is to input an actual mail address as an alias. This means that I have to have a working mail-address that I can use - you know, one that I would associate with work... but it cannot be my work-address :o

This is where I should be able to pair it with my organizational account - and Microsoft should just take care of it behind the scenes. I mean there must be some way that you could, let's call it "federate", identities between two different login-providers?

The other option is to create a new alias, which makes no sense in this context.

As I am a sysadmin, I can just go and add an extra mail-alias to my Exchange account and move on, but not everyone is in that position. MS is even saying that Azure AD can "integrate" with Microsoft Accounts, but this is the simplest possible form, where you have to enter the access code of the Microsoft account into Azure AD and then it tries to authenticate you with that up against your MA-based services, but only if you were coming from the Apps-list in Office 365...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base