How can we improve Azure Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)?

Support partial updates to deployments

Each time I need to change any component on my deployments, i need to repackage everything and upload the whole thing. As my packages grow in size & complexity, this becomes quite timetaking and not so well. I suggest to please support selective component updates

143 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vineet GroverVineet Grover shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Veerendra Kumar BallaVeerendra Kumar Balla shared a merged idea: add certificates to role machine while running  ·   · 
    Marcel MeijerMarcel Meijer shared a merged idea: partial update/upgrade a deployment  ·   · 
    bradreesbradrees shared a merged idea: Improve the development environment such that a web role can be updated without redeploying  ·   · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Graham BunceGraham Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want to a new host header to map to an existing website? Tough as that's part of the service definition file...and can't be changed

• ldsenowldsenow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is so painful at the moment. I give up using Worker/Web role due to the slow deployment. I hope MS will be looking at this seriously. This is feedback was created 4.5 years ago but it is still under review

• Graeme MillerGraeme Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They need to integrate publishing static web files like JS,CSS etc to blob storage as part of the publish operation. This would apps more scableable as statics files wouldn't be served by web roles. It would also allow updates to static files without re-deploying the instance.

• AllanAllan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stored WCF endpoints in web.config ... a change means redeployment . Pain.

• TzafrirTzafrir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, the deployment process should be much easier. In order to modify a javascript you need to deploy the application. There should be an easier solution for that.

Feedback and Knowledge Base