How can we improve Azure Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)?

Support DirectX and DirectCompute functionality in web and worker roles

Worker roles need often access to DirectX or DirectCompute libraries in order to perform CAD processing based on GPU even in case the cloud-hardware would not have graphic cards available.
The cloud hardware should insted provide CPU and GPU clusters.

53 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andreas BohnAndreas Bohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We _absolutely_ need full D2D and D3D Support in advanced video applications.
        In the TV world we're dealing with less than 10 milliseconds for composing a frame which has to be augmented with "corner bugs", "crawls" and other more sophisticated augmentations.
        This is _realtime_ processing and the support of _real_hardware_GPU_power is really essential, especially if you're working with HD streams.

• Ron PetersRon Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love GPU-based roles for cloud services. It would be a huge improvement for our workloads

• Iskander SierraIskander Sierra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There could be GPURoles, meaning that the code would run on powerful GPU computers to process images, video etc.

• ShaunTShaunT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredible. But would the server's then require fast GPU cards, and how would this affect heating/energy costs of their datacenters? Might make more sense to run a software emulation version of DirectX to achieve this goal.

Feedback and Knowledge Base