How can we improve Azure Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)?

Provide multiple roles per instance

Enables you to host more than one application on one Azure compute instance. Suitable for small departmental servers.

1,066 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    pobiefunapobiefuna shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Support overloading roles in cloud services so multiple roles can be placed on each machine.  ·   · 
    Joe WoodJoe Wood shared a merged idea: WebRole On-Demand Dynamic Fast Deployment (Using AppDomains)  ·   · 
    BarDevBarDev shared a merged idea: Provide multiple worker roles per instance  ·   · 
    Chris HewittChris Hewitt shared a merged idea: Optionally allow deployment to a Process/AppDomain rather than a VM  ·   · 
    Graeme BryceGraeme Bryce shared a merged idea: Allow grouping of web and worker roles to run together on a single VM  ·   · 

59 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe WoodJoe Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. A sandbox model (app domain) would suffice for 'safe code'. Using this we could support dynamic deployments and on-demand scaling.

• Joe AlbahariJoe Albahari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is supported, PLEASE make sure we can add / remove roles without deleting the deployment!

• John WillistonJohn Williston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my projects so far involve a web role with multiple web sites with the need for some behind-the-scenes automation, the result of which is that my clients get stuck paying for an extra instance that does next to nothing. It's really cost inefficient, from a client perspective, to have to buy multiple instances when one will do. Please add the ability for us to put worker roles on the same instance as web roles.

• William StaceyWilliam Stacey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+2. Way it is today, you are forced to get a new instance for every role. That makes little sense and no scale for user. If I am paying 24/7 for a bucket, I want to fill that bucket as much or as little as needed. Same goes for Staging. Why require a separate instance for that? One should be able to deploy to that role to same instance.

• David SDavid S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be hugely helpful for the way we'd like to deploy. Not to mention the extra cost incurred when we don't need to separate out these roles.

• Emmanuel HunaEmmanuel Huna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am running a web role hosted in full IIS, with two different host names working under IIS. It works great.

• MarcoMarco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin mode and full IIS does not allow multiple host header with https. Multiple WebSites in same instance is complete useless without this feature.

• BarDevBarDev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a startup and our budget is very limited. If I was creating my product for Windows Server, I would create multiple Windows Services (IE multiple worker roles) and run them all on 1 server. Since my budget is limited, Azure is forcing me to create one worker role that contains the functionality of multiple roles. I see no reason to have an instance for each role, when my roles are sitting idle most of the time.

• Arnon Rotem-Gal-OzArnon Rotem-Gal-Oz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you deploy multiple business services (e.g. SOA) then the logical mapping is service per worker role - but that's not cost effective so you cram them into a single worker role and then have to manage the liveliness and elasticity yourself - missing a lot of the reasons (operations costs) to move to the cloud in the first place (not to mention the extra development)

• Fabio FerrariFabio Ferrari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not a matter of multiple IIS sites... we shold be able to instantiate for examle 1 web role and 1 worker role on the same instance

• Vassil_Vassil_ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support the idea of having web and worker roles running onto 1 computing instance. I am a student and currently I am working on Azure, mostly for educational purpose and I have only 1 instance that I can use. So I have to think of workarounds in order to have some background processes in addition to a web role. In this line of thought small companies would need such an option when choosing a subscription plan.

• Daniel PamichDaniel Pamich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like web and worker roles to be deployed on the same compute instance. This enables small sites to get up and running cost effectively and then as the site expands and as required the worker roles could be split off to separate instances.

Also with web & worker roles on one instance small/starter sites could have the correct software architecture from day 1 and more easily scale as the site grows. Thus making azure a more attractive platform.

• Brian UBrian U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, when you say "full IIS", does this include the ability to use the net.tcp binding, or no?

• pettijohnpettijohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for what Paul Brown said. I should be able to logically design services, and deploy them on any number of physical instances and/or overlap them when required.

• CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Paul Brown. Ideally I would be able to take separate Role projects in VS2010 and assign them to a single instance. For example, a ASP.NET web app as one project and a separate WCF service app as another project. For a small scale system I'd like to be able to configure both roles to run on one instance, while maintaining separate VS2010 projects for them. Similarly having two worker roles as separate projects and allowing me to assign them to one instance.

• Paul BrownPaul Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is indeed good news, however, what about something similar for worker roles? I think what I'd like to see is the ability to architect your application as a number of web and worker roles and then to choose at deployment time whether all roles run on the same compute instance, or all web roles go to one compute instance and all worker roles go to another or any combination thereof. I think in some ways if you consider how BizTalk Server has a rich hosting model and allows you to enlist artefacts such as adapter handlers and orchestrations against one or more hosts, I see the same configurability of combining or separating web and worker roles across compute instances as and when demand requires it.

• FishDawgFishDawg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news. Microsoft says the "Full IIS" feature will be available in late 2010.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base