How can we improve Azure Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)?

Allow the instance size to be changed without redeploying

allow changing instance size of web role (extra small, small, ...) through the management portal without having to redeploy the application

200 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ThomasThomas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Alexander VovkAlexander Vovk shared a merged idea: Allow to change vmsize without repackaging  ·   · 
    Thomas (Mentum)Thomas (Mentum) shared a merged idea: Scale up (size) and not only out  ·   · 

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this has been "under review" for almost a year now. Any progress?

I agree will all points so far.
        I have to deploy the same cspkg with many different databases, etc. which works fine via the ServiceConfiguration files, but once I want a deployment in a different size I need to repackage everything!? That is a pretty strange decision.

• RoryRory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with Jan van Veldhuizen: sizing should be an ops decision.

We use a cspkg file output from our automated build for deployments; it doesn't make sense to need to change our build process to output multiple files if we want to have different sizes for dev/test/demo/prod or for different customer deployments.

• Jan van VeldhuizenJan van Veldhuizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't make sense that the developer determines the size when in reality it shouldn't matter to him. The system administrator in charge of deployment should be able to have packages from the developers and then we manage the scaling. It's strange that I can scale up and down the number of instances, but not the size, especially since the size determines not only the physical resources but the bandwidth as well.
        I would be great to be able to define the vmsize in the ServiceConfiguration files instead of the ServiceDefinition file. That would make it possible to have different sizes for each configuration, eg. XS for development, M for demo and XL for live.

Feedback and Knowledge Base