How can we improve Azure Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)?

Access the deployment error log from the management portal and Visual Studio

Since deployment error are not uncommon, and many times you cannot use Remote Desktop in order to view the Windows Azure Log in the instance which constantly keeps recycling, access to the deployment error log from the management portal could save us developers a lot of headache, and a lot of support calls for you MS guys

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LiorLior shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    HåkanHåkan shared a merged idea: Make troubleshooting easier  ·   · 
    kurrent93kurrent93 shared a merged idea: take the nightmare out of deploying  ·   · 
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Implement an ability to trace exceptions during deployment  ·   · 

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul TurnerPaul Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I just lost a day trying to get to the exception information I needed to solve a deployment issue. The Worker Role host doesn't deal with unhandled exceptions very gracefully at all. Whilst having the host crash isn't the worst idea, it really pains me to miss the rich .NET exception data.

I would like to see, at a minimum, any unhandled exception being written to a log (the Application log is suitable, especially as it's already exported by WAD), before the host terminates. No exception should just disappear.

Ideally, we should be able to see any exceptions encountered in deploying a role (deployment, startup scripts, role start) through the Azure dashboard. I appreciate that might be a big ask, but it would be very convenient.

• James D. SchwarzmeierJames D. Schwarzmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree -- when a deployment or app start problem happens (including endless restart/cycling loops), it's very painful to go digging to try to find out what went wrong. Sometimes one has to look in storage logs, sometimes one has to remote desktop and dig through files local to each server instance, etc. Both the portal and tooling in Visual Studio should provide more detail about what's happening when apps don't deploy or start -- and provide an easier way to get at the full logs.

• be789be789 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dealing with unhandled exceptions is currently a big pain. +1 for this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base